A forum to show appreciation and respect for classic video game systems and games. Whether you're a modder, a programmer, or just a collector, this forum is about appreciating classic games and systems in a constructive community environment.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

Satellite HD DVR

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tripredacus_Agent

PostSubject: Satellite HD DVR   Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:32 pm

I have been given a DirecTV HD DVR that won't power on. I checked it out already and there is definately something wrong with the power circuit. It does not get the +5/12 on the output where it is supposed to, but the fuse is still good. There are a couple of caps that could use a replace which I can get done.

But I am wondering if it is even worth me to do a repair on it. I am not even certain I can use it in place of my own satellite box, but if I did fix it, would it be worth it to resell it?

Even if it turns out it is not worth my time, I know the hard drive has content on it. I would also probably end up trying to take a look at that.

Any resources for these kinds of things?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drakon
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Satellite HD DVR   Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Tripredacus_Agent wrote:
I have been given a DirecTV HD DVR that won't power on. I checked it out already and there is definately something wrong with the power circuit. It does not get the +5/12 on the output where it is supposed to, but the fuse is still good. There are a couple of caps that could use a replace which I can get done.

But I am wondering if it is even worth me to do a repair on it. I am not even certain I can use it in place of my own satellite box, but if I did fix it, would it be worth it to resell it?

Even if it turns out it is not worth my time, I know the hard drive has content on it. I would also probably end up trying to take a look at that.

Any resources for these kinds of things?

I've actually repaired power circuits before. I had a digital camera ac adapter that died. I opened it up, examined the pcb, found traces that had bubbled and disconnected. Sometimes you can visually see the problem, other times a tool like a multimeter is needed to find where the fault is. I've had repair jobs that I leave on the shelf for a year or two until my skills got good enough the tackle it. It's up to you if you want to throw this thing away, use it for parts, attempt to fix it now, or put it on a shelf until you've got more experience under your belt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/
Tripredacus_Agent

PostSubject: Re: Satellite HD DVR   Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh ah, I wasn't implying I didn't know how to repair power circuits, but I didn't know if anyone had worked with the types of set top boxes before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Satellite HD DVR

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1